Monday, December 29, 2008

My first chain letter

All right. First of all, I should explain that I have never, in my life, been able to make myself continue a chain letter. Send this to five friends and you'll get free stickers? Nope. That one that's been traveling the world since 1952? Stopped by me. More than once, actually. I think I was the only one in my college class to refuse to participate in the yearbook-style getting to know everyone-type survey that circulated through the inboxes (of course I read everyone else's with some enjoyment).

I'm not sure why, really. There's just something in me that makes me groan, then dig in my heels and refuse to participate. I always feel a little guilty, because the person asking me to be a part of this big paper circle of love is always someone I like, and I hate to disappoint...I just irrationally hate chain letters more.

HOWEVER, Mari, over at MaybeinUtah tagged me in an exercise that despite feeling suspiciously like a chain letter, I feel compelled to attempt.
So here goes.

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Six random? things about me:

1. I hate chain mail.

2. Whenever I'm sleeping alone in my apartment, I have to check my closet AND under my bed for homicidal maniacs or gremlins or whatever before I can go to sleep. I realize that if they're already in my closet or under my bed, there's not much I can do about it, but still. I'd rather try to catch them off-guard than be lying in bed when they decide to emerge.

3. When I was really small I once stuffed a live frog down the smokestack of a plastic steamboat, thinking he might like to sail it. I became concerned after a while when he didn't jump back out. My dad had to take the boat apart to set him free.

4. If I take a nap during the day, I get sleep paralysis. (my mind wakes up but my body refuses to move -sometimes I can even open my eyes a bit - it's sooo creepy.) I always wonder if that's what it's like to be in a coma. Apparently my mom and all her sisters used to have it too.

5. I have a giant crush on Jamie, from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

6. I love to eat flavoured Miss Vickies chips with dip, I put hot sauce or pesto on my eggs, and I love to eat dark chocolate with a big glass of orange juice. My boyfriend is constantly asking if I'm pregnant.


And now I must choose some of you to subject to this. Feel absolutely free to ignore the tagging, I promise, I'll understand. And of course, as I can't possibly do exactly what I'm asked, I'm only tagging four of you.

sarahbelle
ellebee
j.wi
M

6 comments:

Leanne said...

Thanks for the tag, lovely lady! I will have to think about this so I can post something good.

Mari said...

I so agree with you on #1, Sarah - I had a similar reaction! What can we do in the future that won't hurt their virtual feelings?
Anyway, thanks for playing it through!

Also with you on #2, and my family says I damaged a frog as a child, though the source is suspect and I am fairly certain that my sister was the perpetrator.
I am totally intrigued by #4, want to read more about that. Sounds a little frightening? Like one of those people who can feel during surgery, yikes.

j.wi said...

the napping thing is kind of weird, but i think i do something similar. thanks for the tag!

quarter-life lady. said...

I learned my lesson about chain letters the hard way. I worked long and hard retyping and copying a chain letter I was sent (this was before email days), and brought a letter to about six or seven friends at youth group. At the end of youth group, after everyone had left, I noticed about six or seven of the letters crumpled up and on the floor.

I haven't wasted my time (or paper) on chain letters since.

Oh, and I get sleep paralysis too. It's horrible!

Sarah said...

Aw, see? I definitely always had the best of intentions when friends sent me chain letters, I wouldn't have crumpled them up.

I usually just tucked them away somewhere and then felt guilty every time I saw them until years had passed and I could safely throw them away.

I'm so glad you know what I'm talking about with sleep paralysis! Most people just look at me like I'm crazy when I mention it!

Anonymous said...

hahah, i love number two! this line just made my day: "I realize that if they're already in my closet or under my bed, there's not much I can do about it, but still."

and orange juice? is the shit. pulp-free, of course. mmmm.