Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm not the only one

Whether by nature, or nurture, I am overwhelmingly an optimist. Despite the constant barrage of news headlines to the contrary, I believe that most people are basically good.

Unfortunately, this week, my generally sunny outlook has diminished as I got a look at a disturbingly dark side of this quintessentially small-town, town.

Suffice it to say that I've been made aware of the details of a horrific crime that took place over the weekend and the atrociously damaging way in which it was handled by the people who were in a position to help after the fact. As a result, the perpetrators are free to roam around town looking for their next victim, secure in the knowledge that no one will bother to come after them.

Just knowing about it has left me feeling sickened, outraged, fearful and frustratingly powerless. I can only imagine what the victim must be feeling.

Maybe by next week, I'll be thinking of proactive ways to address the issue of a system that could let someone down so unimaginably, but today I'm just not feeling very optimistic.

No comments: